Through advocacy, support and education, the Alliance for Women Film Composers aims to increase the visibility of women composers active in media scoring. The AWFC advocates for the inclusion of women composers within industry events; supports filmmakers, game developers and studios in their inclusion of women composers; and educates, mentors and inspires emerging women composers.
The AWFC realizes these goals through initiatives that include:
- A directory of women composers inclusive of emerging and established writers. This directory serves as both a resource for those searching for composers, and a growing documentation of the identities and formal enumeration of women active in scoring media.
- Meetings and gatherings that address issues of career development, networking, representation, and opportunities. In small and large groups, these collective assemblies support open discourse, community building, and the chance to engage as a group in an insightful, productive dialogue.
- Publicizing and celebrating the work and achievements of a myriad of female composers. The AWFC operates from the perspective that the public’s familiarity and consciousness of numerous, varied female composers is good for every individual female composer.
- Visible attendance/participation at industry events.
- Advocacy for inclusion in performances, broadcasts, festivals, grants and awards.
- Lobbying for the inclusion of women composers in studies and research about women in media.